Friday, June 13, 2008

Random Thoughts: Do I believe the hype?

At work, there is this big push to make everyone "diverse." According to the company, "Diversity" is EEO, AA, and creating an inclusive environment, plus general career development and leadership development. "That's great," you say, "but, what does that mean?"

Well, realizing that the average age of the company is increasing, they want to hire and retain younger employees. Their way of doing that is by making everyone feel included. Everyone is supposed to accept the fact that others have different ideas and ideals even if they don't agree with the other's points of view. Even if we have a disagreement, as long as we both respect each other's opinions and communicate, we should be able to keep heated arguments to a minimum.

Sound like an unobtainable utopia? It is. The problem is that they focus on managers meeting their "diversity initiatives." Sure, I have had some small issues with managers, but my main issues have always been with coworkers. I've had numerous issues in the past with someone who asks questions makes statements in the form of questions. Any response on my part that is in anyway contrary to what he wants to hear typically evokes a defensive posture on his part. If this progresses, it turns into one of two things... Sometimes, he says something like, "If we just stopped wasting time talking about this, it would be done." Alternately, he starts talking over me, disregarding me or just plain ignoring me.

I know I am not the easiest person to argue with.* I can even deal with people talking over me and ignoring me, to a degree. That said, I have 11.5 years of work experience plus 33.5 years of life experience which can not, should not, and will not be ignored. I do feel excluded. I do feel disrespected. I do feel unappreciated. And just like the training says, I have felt like finding a new job where I will be accepted, even if I won't be agreed with.

I have been give the advice countless times from different parties that I should involve my boss. I just can't help but feel like that makes me the tattle-tale, cry-baby. I don't need someone to fight my battles for me, damn it! I'm smart. I should be able to figure this out... except, I can't. I have no idea how to fight this battle and win, hence the "considering a new job" thoughts. The only thing I haven't tried that leaves me with my self respect intact is talking to my boss.  I just don't know how to do that.

* - I wouldn't be surprised to find out that my wife's head fell off nodding in agreement with this statement.

0 comments: