Thursday, February 14, 2008

Random Thoughts: Facing my own mortality

OK, so I'm not really facing my own mortality. I have a doctor's appointment today for a "routine" physical plus an assessment of my knee(s). I say "routine" because I haven't had a physical since I was 18. Doing the math, that's 15 years of seeing a doctor only when I need sick/injured care.

Generally, I go through life knowing that I am impervious to pretty much everything. Sure I get the occasional cold or other virus, but they just make life interesting. That said, I am a little nervous about going to the doctor to have him reaffirm my invincibility. I mean, I don't want him to have me forcefully turned into a lab rat just because I am a 100% perfect specimen of humanity. And what if, though sheer jealousy, he makes up some flaw like high cholesterol?

Seriously, though, I am actually a little nervous about what he is going to say about my knees. After my very wet run yesterday, I think I got a little insight to a possible cause. I think my shoes could stand to have more cushion. The soaking rain covered the road with streams and ponds that I was forced to run through. The slight shock-absorbing properties of water splashing out from under my feet seemed to help greatly. Hopefully, between the doctor and my own investigations, I can find out what the problem/solution is. Otherwise, I have to devise a whole new approach to staying fit and healthy. I guess there is always the approach my grandmother took. I could keep my body pure and clean with a daily dose (or two) of gin, shaken with ice, with three olives, served in a martini glass with the ice on the side.

0 comments: