Thursday, October 28, 2010

Livestock: Chickens 1 Month To First Egg

The chicken prequel article took many words. The buying and first month posts took lots of words also. After that point, not much happens until they start laying eggs. They settled into their new home quite nicely. Their run is a slightly irregular rectangle about 10' x 15'. Before they moved into the area, that part of the yard was a compost pile, a potato bed, grass, chickweed and wild strawberries. After a month and a half, it was nothing but dirt. They didn't seem to care, although treats were much more appreciated once their run was bare.

My recent research shows that treats can be complex or simple. Mostly, we fed them anything that was leftover, not fatty and not salty. Fortunate for them, July to October are the best months to be a chicken (I would imagine). We fed them corn cobs, carrot tops, peas, weeds, and other miscellaneous things. One time, I fed them some leftover fish which they gobbled up. Common advice recommends that treats shouldn't make up more than 10-15% of their diet. I have no idea if that means by weight or by volume. For that matter, I don't even really know how much they eat by weight or by volume anyway. Despite being totally unsure of these metrics, I think I do a pretty good job of meeting that percentage. Basically, from what I have read and things that I read between the lines, you can give chickens pretty much anything in moderation. I try to keep their treats protein-rich so that I don't dilute their feed. Other than that, I don't really think about it.

So what else happens in the early life of a chicken? Not much other than growing. But boy do they grow! The biggest problem I had was dealing with their waterer. When I moved them to the coop, I got a big (expensive) galvanized waterer. Apparently, 5 of the chickens learned how to use the roost. One preferred to roost on the waterer. Every morning I had to swish out a bunch of chicken poop. Every evening I had to swish out a bunch of litter so they wouldn't have to go to bed thirsty. Eventually, that little lady learned that the roost was better and I haven't had problems since. It was pretty comical the first night she jumped to the roost. I closed them in for the night and saw 3 chickens heads in the window, where there were usually 2. She apparently decided that she wanted a window seat.

I suppose I said I only had one problem with the chickens, and technically, that's true. I did, however, have a problem for me, caused indirectly by the chickens. Chickens make a lot of poop. No problem, we compost kitchen scraps, so poop and litter will just give us more compost. Well, that's good in theory. My previous composting was a hands-off approach. I just kept piling things in. In spring, I would move all the uncomposted stuff from the top to the side and pull out all the good compost underneath. Initially, I was doing the same thing until the previously mentioned problem occurred. The problem was flies. We have always had occasional flies, but they never reached nuisance level until we got chickens. The problem was, even after I started turning and covering the compost, we already had a cycle of fly breeding going on. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of them until the weather cooled in Sept. I'm going to have to come up with a solution to prevent that next summer. Sitting on the deck became a frustrating experience.

One of the hardest parts of this period of time in chicken raising was the waiting. We got them for eggs. Sure, I didn't expect to have a break-even point happening quickly, but I couldn't help but wonder when they would start laying. The books said to make sure you have the nest box in place no later than 18 weeks. Well, that's something to do while I wait... Check! Well, it's at least fun watching the kids feed them weeds through the fence. Hmm, any eggs yet? Nope. How about now? Nope. When the *!$% are these things gonna lay eggs. The coop and the fencing and the chickens and the equipment and the litter and the feed just keep ticking red dollar signs in my head. Plus, the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) eggs only run through the end of October. Maybe some internet searches will give me some better ideas about when they will lay.

Well, according to my research, chickens (generically speaking) start laying between 18 weeks and 1 year. Laying breeds usually start early and most sources consider Rhode Island Reds to be laying breeds. Most of the specific references to Rhode Island Reds which I found had people getting eggs right around the 5 month mark. Well, one morning, precisely 136 days after they were born, I went out to the coop to let them out into the run, refill their food and check their water. I was talking to my wife, who happened to be holding the baby. As I opened the coop door, there on the floor was a totally unexpected egg!!!

I suspect (OK, I agree with my wife's suggestion) that the egg was laid by a chicken on the roost. Apparently, we weren't the only ones surprised by the first egg. Every egg she laid after that has been in the nest box. Now, if only she would convince all her friends (sisters?) to join her in making our breakfast.



There's a lot of room in that carton.

0 comments: