Thursday, January 31, 2008

Random Thoughts: Appearance Matters

As I sit here debugging a problem with fonts on a new system, I can't help but think about the fact that I am spending hours trying to fix (aka, change) the appearance of something to look normal. I have never been one to care much about appearance, in either myself or others. Don't get me wrong, I recognize attractive people (my wife, my daughter, etc.). I just never assumed anything about someone based on how they look. I realized that some of the stagnation of my career can be traced to this attitude. I do what I do without concern for protocol and other people's perceptions. More often than not, this gets me into trouble.

As I write this, I thought about speculating that I might try to change that personality trait. There isn't really a reason to do that, though, because I have a general rule that I don't change for anyone else. The only change I undergo is solely for myself and the betterment of my experience of humanity. Changing to make someone else happy is pointless.

0 comments: