Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Random Thoughts: Baby Vomit

Sunday was a fun day. I got almost no sleep Saturday night because I had a fever nausea. It wasn't that high, but it was bad enough to cause me to be really hot and really cold at the same time. I also had that scratchy feeling to my skin like I am sleeping under a sandpaper sheet. Apparently, Laura was also sick because she woke up around 5:45 a.m. and proceeded to 'blow chunks' all over her bed. An hour later, she seemed to be OK. We had been planning to go to Erin's half marathon to cheer her on, so I had to assess her condition because I didn't want to take a baby an hour from home to have her barfing everywhere. I gave her three tiny bites of banana. She seemed fine. I gave her two tiny sips of water and sat her on my lap to read a story. Two minutes later she started to gag. Fortunately, I was able to keep my cloths clean/dry by catching her throw-up in my right hand. Ten seconds later, I was fortunate again when I caught the next round in my left hand. Ten more seconds later, I was most unfortunate that I didn't have a third (and a fourth) hand. As I sat on the kitchen floor with a dry-heaving, crying shivering baby and both hands full of baby vomit I calmly called, "Uh, Erin... I need some help."

Laura is well past the newborn spit-up stage. That was never really a big deal, either. A little curdled milk really isn't all that bad. Baby vomit, however, is an entirely different animal. I am really glad Laura never had an illness like this. I really hope this doesn't happen again any time soon.

0 comments: