Saturday, March 21, 2009

Random Thoughts: Cleaning

I've never been one to part with things lightly. It's the Yankee Thrift in me. If it were up to me, I would never replace anything until it was no longer functioning and beyond repair. Sadly, I have become somewhat of a pawn of industry. It's hard to fight the giant, inexpensive TVs, even though my 16-year-old 13" TV still functions with a converter box. Besides, it has become like an old friend. I've been with my TV longer than I've been with my wife. How do you give up on that kind of friendship?

I've also got my old stereo which I got when I was still in high school. Should I get rid of that just because I haven't used it in almost a decade and I never even hooked it up when we bought our house? And my scanner... Just because I have a new all-in-one device that replaces my printer and scanner in a better, smaller package, should I dump that? You never know when an aspiring comic artist is going to need a scanner.

Well, whatever I have to do to force myself to get rid of this stuff is what I have to do. I can't afford the space. Although, as I write this, I'm considering keeping the stereo receiver for the garage and the TV would fit just perfectly on top of that. All I would have to do is get rid of Erin's mini-stereo that I rescued from the junk pile. Can you believe she was going to get rid of it just because you have to shove the CD tray closed while repeatedly hitting play to get it to work???

UPDATE: As funny-but-not-joking as I am being in this post, I just found the remote for a TV that died about 4 years ago. It was covered with tape because the battery door broke. I can't even fathom why I wanted to keep that.

0 comments: