Friday, March 4, 2005

Restaurant Review: Ben's Chilli Dogs - Newport, RI

158 Broadway, Newport, RI

Looking for a simple, tasty and affordable lunch? Try Ben's Chilli Dogs. This barebones establishment offers hot dogs with a standard set of toppings for a very good price and with service that is both fast and friendly.

There isn't much more to say about this hot dog joint. They offer your choice of toppings including ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, chilli, cheese and sauerkraut to be served on your dog in a steamed bun. The price ranges from $1 and change to $2 and change. Lunch for 2 people usually comes to around $10 depending on how hungry you are and your choice of toppings.

The decor is just as barebones as the menu. The walls are dressed in wood panelling. Seating consists of 3 booths of 4 people, 2 booths of 2 people and bar stools facing the wall mounted bar-type table. Other than the plants in the front window, the only real adornments in the place are the somewhat amusing but rarely changing anti-Bush propaganda at the register.

When I stop and think about it, if I want a hot dog I can't think of any place I would rather get it than Ben's Chilli Dogs. Some people say New York Systems or Spike's Junkyard Dogs are better, but give me a Ben's any day and I'll be happy, my belly will be full and my wallet won't be empty.

0 comments: